Friday, February 16, 2007

Feb 16, 2007 - They're Off


Their families came to to help them load the vehicles, to wish them well and to see them off on their departure to Gulfport, MS.. It was a sunny but crisp and breezy winter day. You could certainly feel the chill in air, but it seemed no one was really paying attention to the cold, they were too busy packing the cars and participating in the excitement generated by the anticipation at the start of a new adventure. There was an overflow of luggage for the two vehicles due to the ten people, their clothes and personals for a week, plus tools needed to support their relief work in Gulfport. As I am following them south for the week, traveling in my own car and a day behind them, I took the overflow.

We'll meet up in Mississippi, "Lord willing and the creek don't rise!"

I was amazed as I observed their preparations at how relatively organized and well tempered their efforts together seemed to be. I felt as if these folks could probably get along pretty well traveling and working together for a week.

After everyone had gathered in the Cerney's house and Pastor Todd led in prayer it didn't take long for the final decisions on who's driving and who's riding shotgun to be decided and for the vehicles to be backing out of the driveway on their way.

I thought, as I looked in my rear view mirror and saw them head down Walnut toward Oakwood, good luck and safe trip oh you travelers of the Pathway!
It was 5:05 PM , they had planned to leave by 5:00. Not bad, not bad at all.
For more pictures from today go to http://www.pbase.com/dhnieman/gulfport

No comments: